Oops! It appears that you have disabled your Javascript. In order for you to see this page as it is meant to appear, we ask that you please re-enable your Javascript!

Call Or Click Below For A Free Consultation!


Contact Us Today!

Failure to Pay Toll Tickets in Collin County, Texas

If you’re like me, you use the tollways here in Collin County, Texas; and, while you may pay your tolls, you certainly don’t enjoy paying them. According to the North Texas Tollway Authority’s (NTTA) website, 92 percent of North Texans and visitors who travel on NTTA toll roads pay for their use of the toll roads. So, if my math is correct, that leaves 8 percent of those North Texans and visitors who use the toll roads not paying for their use of them. So, what happens when you don’t pay your tolls? Read on!

When and How is a Failure to Pay Toll Ticket Issued?

When driving on a NTTA toll road, tolls are paid electronically from a prepaid account through the use of a tolltag sticker mounted on a vehicle’s windshield. Each time a motorist passes through a toll point, the toll is deducted straight from the motorist’s prepaid tolltag account. For motorists who use the toll roads but do not have a tolltag, the NTTA offers ZipCash as a pay-by-mail option. When a motorist without a tolltag drives through a toll point, high-speed cameras take digital images of the motorist’s license plate, and the tolls are billed to the registered owner of the vehicle.

When a motorist incurs tolls that go unpaid, the NTTA mails an invoice to the motorist providing him or her 25 days to pay for the tolls. If payment is not received, the NTTA mails a 1st Notice of Nonpayment to the motorist that includes a $10 administrative fee. If payment of the invoice is not received 25 days after the 1st Notice of Nonpayment, a 2nd Notice of Nonpayment is mailed to the motorist that includes a $10 administrative fee, plus an additional $25 administrative fee. If, after 25 days, payment is still not received, the NTTA mails the motorist a 3rd and Final Notice of Nonpayment that includes the same administrative fees as the 2nd Notice. If the invoice is still not paid within 25 days after receiving the 3rd and Final Notice of Nonpayment, the registered owner of the vehicle is issued a Failure to Pay Toll citation by mail.

Failure to Pay Toll in Collin County, Texas

Texas Transportation Code, Section 228.055 states that the registered owner of a vehicle for which the proper toll is not paid who is mailed a written notice of nonpayment and fails to pay the proper toll and administrative fee within the time specified by the notice of nonpayment (25 days) commits an offense and faces a fine not to exceed $250. Failure to Pay Toll citations are filed and handled in the Collin County Justice of the Peace Courts. Furthermore, each unpaid toll or administrative fee is a separate offense.

So, for example, a motorist who travels through the City of Plano (6 toll points) on the Dallas North Tollway would rack up $4.32 using the NTTA’s ZipCash payment method. If the motorist fails to pay the tolls after receiving invoices and Notices of Nonpayment for them, he or she would receive 6 separate Failure to Pay Toll citations. This means that the motorist would be facing up to $1,500 (6 tolls x $250 fine/per toll) in fines, plus the original $4.32 in tolls, and all of the administrative fees contained in the 3 Notices of Nonpayment for each of the 6 tolls,which totals $1,984.32!

Defending Failure to Pay Toll Violations in Collin County, Texas

Looking at the example above, it’s easy to see how these Failure to Pay Toll tickets can quickly get out of hand. The Texas Department of Transportation maintains a list of the top toll violators in Texas, and the top violators have total amounts of unpaid tolls and fees reaching over $200,000! And, to make matters worse, receiving Failure to Pay Toll citations aren’t even the only penalties you face if you have unpaid tolls. In addition to receiving Failure to Pay Toll tickets, you may also face a vehicle registration block, an order prohibiting the operation of a vehicle you own on NTTA toll roads, and vehicle impoundment upon proof of repeated violations of any order of prohibition. So, if you or a friend or family member has received a citation or ticket for Failure to Pay Toll in Collin County, Texas, contact me today for a free consultation at (972) 372-4054 to see how I can help you!

Comments on this entry are closed.